Introduction to Language Planning (1)
|Trainer:||Dr Kathryn Jones|
|Fee:||£155 + VAT / £125 + VAT IAITH member|
|Time:||9:30 am - 16:30 pm|
The aim of the course is to give people who work with the Welsh language the opportunity to learn about the main principles of Language Policy and Planning (LPP) and relate those principles to their own work.
Content: Day 1 (Day 2 will follow in the Autumn. *You can register for one or both sessions.)
The course will include a series of presentations and workshop activities on the following:
- Definitions: What is language? What is culture?
- Language, territory and social networks
- Language and power – rights and equality
- Historical dimensionsUnderstanding the bilingual experience
- What is language policy and planning?
- Where it began
- Principles and models
- Language Policy and Planning in Wales
- Language and social change
- Linguistic behavioural change Changing linguistic behaviour
A training pack and a bibliography will be provided.
There will be a reading and reflection excercise at the end of Day 1 for those who wish to attend Day 2 to complete in advance of the second session.
The training will be delivered in Welsh.
Kathryn Jones is Director of Language Policy and Research at IAITH. LPP and language practices was Kathryn’s field of doctoral research. She is an experienced trainer with over 20 years of experience in teaching academic and professional development courses on LLP in Wales and abroad. She currently teaches the postgraduate certificate in LLP at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David.