Corporate language planning
What is ‘corporate language planning’? We use this term to refer to language planning within organizations. In Wales, this work addresses the challenge of increasing the use of Welsh and bilingualism in the provision of services and within administrations. In relation to the Welsh Language Act 1993 hundreds of public bodies, together with a large number of voluntary bodies, implemented Welsh Language Schemes. Since 2015, bodies subject to the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011 have faced the challenge of adopting and implementing Welsh Language Standards. A growing number of private and third sector companies are espousing language policies and schemes complying with the Welsh Offer.
As the first consultancy to pioneer in this field, IAITH’s experience in providing corporate language planning services is second to none. Many of Wales’ foremost public bodies are among our clients, including the Senedd (Welsh Parliament), Welsh Government, prominent local authorities, health care organizations and social care providers, police authorities and other organizations in the criminal justice sector, fire authorities and many other organizations. We also support a growing number of private companies, third sector organisations and international clients.
We offer advice and guidance on all aspects of developing corporate bilingualism:
- developing working practices and systems to assist organizations in complying with the Welsh Language Standards
- facilitating and monitoring the implementation of Welsh Language Standards and good bilingual practice
- providing language awareness, language assertiveness and behaviour change training
- providing language awareness training for management and staff
- providing training and guidance on recruitment and appointment matters
- Bilingual Skills Strategies
- undertaking a language skills audit
- mainstreaming the Welsh language
- developing bilingual workplaces
- formulating staff guidelines and briefing staff on issues around bilingualism
- formulating training plans
- customer care and the Welsh language
- the Welsh language in the context of Equal Opportunities
- induction and ongoing support for Language Officers
We have also developed and implemented a number of pioneering projects, in collaboration with our clients, that offer imaginative answers to specific needs. Click here for a summary list of the company’s current activities in this area.
We will be delighted to discuss your needs in connection with any aspect of developing corporate bilingualism.
Please contact Kathryn to discuss: email@example.com